Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Futbol con mexicanos


Yesterday we were invited by my friend of 3 years Yamil to play soccer. I've always wanted to play soccer in Mexico. Since my days of coaching at Sanchez High School and seeing how talented the students and players were, I've only imagined what their childhoods were like growing up in a nation that appreciates "the beautiful game". And with the World Cup going on, it has been a privilege to be down here for it. There is a big screen TV set up in the middle of the square in el centro de Cuernavaca were people not only watch the game live, but the rebroadcast afterwards, too. I was in the square for 3 of Germany's 4 goals against Argentina last week, and the Mexicans seemed to love every one as they cheered loudly after each of Alemania's goals. Apparently, many Mexicans find Argentinans to be a little snobby. It doesn't help that thier current coach Maradona has been less than humble during the World Cup. My friend tels me though, that he has many Argentinan friends and that they are not that way at all. Nevertheless, most of the people in the zocalo that day were cheering for Germany. How lucky I am to be here for the World Cup, much better than the States.
The game yesterday was 6 on 6, and called a "cascara" which is apparently a low key "friendly", no shin guards, and especially fun in the rain. It rained right before we started and rained the whole time. It's a memory I'll never forget. Everyone was so nice as always. Yamil's 7 year-old scored on me twice when I was in goal as portero. I scored once. Our team lost by a point in penales, but it was great. We went for flan and beer (Pacifico) afterwards at Yamil's restaurant, Callo y Camaron, which is celebrating its 3 year aniversario. We are all so sore today, it's funny. Since it was raining, I don't have any pics of the game or players. It wasa nice field of astroturf and recycled tires like the field the NFL and other sports play on nowadays. We'll play again before we leave, I think. Yamil said he is sore, too. So are the other two gringos I brought with me to the game from our trip. they kept calling us Donovan and Lalas.

In the picture, Yamil is second from the left. His grandparents came over from Syria and Lebanon. His 3 year old son is named Dayub, which is Arabic for David. He has treatd me like a brother since I met him 3 years ago. Yesterday's game with his friends and family was not only a small dream come true, it was one of the best 90 minutes of my life...

1 comment:

  1. So you will be in a better position to win the soccer ball kicking contest this year at Homecoming? Jerry

    ReplyDelete