Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Doctor Visit in Mexico

Today I had a unique experience as a traveller in another country. I went to the doctor.

My first surprise was that originally, my appointment was on a Saturday. The doctor had to call and cancel, but still, a Saturday appointment is an opportunity not usually enjoyed in the States.

So today, my appointment was for 11:30. I arrived a bit early, and the receptionist was very nice as we watched "Hoy", the Mexican version of "The Today Show", only with silly sketch comedy. We talked for about 10 minutes about where I was from and my visit here to study Spanish and bring some Mexican culture back to the classrooms of Maryland. My Spanish is definitely improving since I can speak in more than one tense now. As I laughed at the television, she asked if I understood what they were saying. I answered, "most of the time." We both agreed that we understand more when the person speaking in our different languages speaks more slowly. She then pulled out her small book of English as she saw my Spanish dictionary on my lap. We had several laughs, one of which when I told her I had been practicing my Spanish at night wth my host "mama" watching the telenovelas.

I was the only person in the waiting room, which was the front hall of the building. The doctor arrived at 11:30 sharp, the receptionist immediately followed him to his office, and I was then invited by her to go on in. The doctor had now put on his white coat and welcomed me. As I said "Buenos dias, doctor," he asked me to call him Hector. Another pleasant surprise.

The rest of the appointment was spent as expected, all in Spanish. I was able to communicate my pain in my wrist from my car accident over two months ago and he was able to communicate the diagnosis and treatment. I was relieved. There were a couple more differences, though, between this appointment and the usual doctors' appointments I've had in the States.

One was that at no point did I feel rushed. That was nice. I have recently found two doctors in the States where I have had a similar experience, so I am not saying that it doesn't exist in the US. But I find it interesting that I recently had to change primary care physicians due to a lack of attention, once his being an hour late, and 3 times out of 4 feeling rushed in and out with an incorrect diagnosis, while my first experience in Mexico was the opposite in all 4 categories.

Another funny part was that the doctor TYPED up his prescription right there in his office on an old typewriter, setting the roll just right and all. My bill came to 600 pesos, about $55 U.S. dollars. But when I asked for a receipt for my records, the receptionist was not able to give me one without a Mexican address or ID. So she talked to the doctor, and again he took my prescription and asked if it would be okay if he typed it on that. So my typed "prescription" now includes directions for the pharmacy, the date and time of my next appointment, and proof of receipt of my payment. Not sure I'm getting the shot he suggested, though, which is #1 on the "receipt." Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment